Home....Back....Next

054 Greece - Athens - Filopappou Hill - Monument Philopappos

Monument Philopappos (c. 116 AD)

The ancient Greek mausoleum and monument was dedicated to Gaius Julius Antiochus Epiphanes Philopappos or Philopappus (65–116 AD), a prince from the Kingdom of Commagene.

In 1436 the traveller Ciriaco de' Pizzicolli wrote that the monument was still intact. Today only two-thirds of the façade remains. The tomb chamber behind the façade is completely destroyed except for the base.

The northwest part of Athens is visible in the background.